Our Mission. Your Mobility.


Steve Grant
Public Information Specialist
(208) 334-8874


Commercial drivers need to ensure that ITD has current information

BOISE - New federal regulations and Idaho law require that all drivers who hold a commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP) notify the Idaho Transportation Department of their current driving category.

Idaho commercial drivers who fail to notify the transportation department of their driving category will eventually have their license downgraded to operate non-commercial vehicles only, said Ed Pemble with ITD.

Approximately 81,000 letters notifying drivers of this new requirement were mailed in June. More than 4,000 of those letters were returned by the postal service because they were undeliverable as addressed.

“It is extremely important for CDL and CLP holders to provide ITD with their correct mailing addresses,” Pemble said. “If ITD does not have correct addresses, important letters about driver’s license requirements will not be received.”

Pemble added that drivers may update their address information at any county driver’s license office or submit an address change form found online at itd.idaho.gov.  Click on “DMV,” then “Driver Services” and look for “Change of Address Request” under Application Forms.

Current CDL holders who have not reported their driving category may complete this requirement in person at any county driver’s license office or online at itd.idaho.gov. Click on “DMV,” then “Online Services” and look for “CDL Self-Certification” under Drivers.

For more information, contact ITD Driver Services at (208) 334-8736 or by email at DLMail@itd.idaho.gov.

Questions? Visit us online at itd.idaho.gov, follow ITD on Twitter (@IdahoITD) or Facebook and check travel conditions at 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1. Please slow down in highway construction zones and pay attention. Safety for drivers and workers is our highest priority.