ITD Office of Communication
ITD begins Interstate 84 widening in Nampa July 8
NAMPA – Major construction will begin next week to add lanes on Interstate 84 between the Karcher/Midland and Franklin Boulevard interchanges in Nampa. Crews will begin preparing the work zone July 8. Construction will be underway on the entire corridor by July 15.
All lanes will remain open during the morning and evening commute through construction. There will be lane shifts in the work zone and periodic overnight lane restrictions.
“Even though two lanes will be open in both directions during commute times, it is more important than ever to focus on driving well through the work zone,” said Amy Schroeder, ITD Program Manager of the I-84 Corridor expansion. “Traffic may be shifted around the work zone from one week to the next. Attentive driving will keep everyone safe and reduce unnecessary traffic backups.”
This work is part of a multi-year process to improve I-84 in Canyon County. Construction in 2019 and 2020 will include:
- Adding a third lane to eastbound and westbound I-84.
- Adding a fourth “auxiliary” lane in both directions between interchanges. Auxiliary lanes allow traffic to travel between two exits without merging with through traffic.
- Replacing the Northside Interchange with a Single Point Urban Interchange.
- Rebuilding several bridges over the railroad, irrigation canal and Mason Creek.
- Completing the replacement of the Karcher Road Overpass.
- Widening the eastbound off-ramp and modifying signals at the Franklin Boulevard Interchange.
Future construction is scheduled for I-84 west of the Karcher Interchange. Work will include replacing the Middleton and Ustick bridges and widening I-84 to Franklin Road in Caldwell.
More information about I-84 construction is available at itdprojects.org/84corridor and the Drive Idaho podcast. Drive Idaho is available on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts.