District 6 innovation
D6’s Rice invents flagging night light to improve visibility, safety on nighttime jobs
In numerous cases, our crews work evening/night shifts flagging for a project or in an emergency scenario. One of the chief safety concerns when night flagging is the ability to see and be seen, especially in cases of emergency.
District 1 Innovation
Hitch-mounted rack simplifies traffic control
To be prepared, maintenance pickups must be outfitted with a variety of tools, including bright orange barrels and cones. These tools are especially important for highway safety, but can be cumbersome. Blake Charles and Miles Stevens went to the scrap pile for a solution.
Office of Highway Safety
More than one highway death per day during Deadliest Days
Labor Day weekend has come and gone, marking the unofficial end of summer and the end of the 100 Deadliest Days of summer driving. Preliminary data from ITD shows at least 104 people killed in traffic crashes between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend this year.
Cake, ice cream, heartfelt thanks follow "extremely stressful" week for employees
After a grueling, stressful stretch of days where long hours and uncertainties were the norm, ITD employees at Headquarters in Boise were treated Sept. 6 to cake, ice cream, a sincere thank you from management, and a well-deserved break in the action.
Innovation page for new employees meant to kick-start idea generation
A short primer on the innovation process has been added to the SharePoint site for new employees in order to engage our newest members in the idea-generation-and-submission process that drives Innovate ITD.
25 Years Ago: Idahoans are beginning to buckle up and it is saving lives
1993: The most recent statewide survey of seat belt use in Idaho shows that Idahoans are buckling up at a rate of over 53%, the highest mark ever. For everyone who buckles up routinely, here's a pat on the back. For the other 47%, here's a reminder of why you should buckle up, too.
ITD From the Vault: Turner goes out of his way to reunite lost camera with owner
ITD from the Vault: July 2007 Transporter. I love this story! It shows what we've always known about employees — they will go out of their way to do the right thing...or in some cases, WAY above and beyond. If a picture is worth a thousands words, what's a camera loaded with pictures worth?
Personalized plate improvement to eliminate 9,000 phone calls annually
A change in how recently expired personalized plates are renewed will save up to 9,000 calls annually from the counties to the DMV, returning countless hours to the agents. And plate owner everywhere rejoice!
Idaho Transportation Board
Final off-site Board meeting will feature ITIP approval, review of federal funds, and risk management report
Approval of the seven-year transportation investment program, a discussion of additional federal funds, and a look at risks faced by the department will be featured in the September Idaho Transportation Board meeting in Idaho Falls and Rigby.